So hurricane season is here. Are you prepared? I’m sure you are not. Yes I know the last 2 years we have escaped any type of storm, and I thank God everyday for it. But what happens if a storm is approaching. Do you have the necessary items to weather the storm out. Over the next few days I will be posting tips to prepare anyone and everyone so that you are ready for it.
Pre- Season Preparation
- Know all evacuation routes if you live near the coast line.- Cat 1 storms east of Federal Hwy is an evacuation zone. Cat 2 storms east of I95 is an evacuation zone. So make sure you pay closer attention. You will be effected first.
- Make sure your home meets building codes for withstanding hurricanes
Windows- Inspect windows to make sure they are in working conditions
Shutters- Practice putting all of your shutters to make sure they fit and you have all your hardware- If you have the Roland shutters try closing them to make sure that they don’t stick-if so get silcone spray and spray the tracks.
Doors- Inspect doors to make sure they are in good condition. Add extra locks or slide bolts to inward- swinging doors. French doors and double doors are especially vulnerable.
Check Gutters- For clogs and loose bracing. Gutters that are back up have a tendance to drain into the roof.
Roof- Make sure all tiles are secured. Check your solar panels- Had a client tell me he lost his because he forgot to take them down..
Trees- If you plan on trimming your trees, now would be the time. You don’t want them lying around when a storm is approaching.
- Have your proper tools, supplies, first aid kit.
- Have plenty of batteries and flashlights. Have a flash light for each person in the house- even the kids. Make sure you change out the batteries now and replensh the ones you have. The shelf life of the batteries is not long so if you have had them for some time buy new ones.
- Always have non perishable foods on hand- Canned Tuna for example.
Look for some more tips to come. I hope this was helpful!